#NOTW trends on Twitter as paper goes under
Bad jokes and pictures of people's lunches were largely ignored on Twitter yesterday - if only for a day or two - as the closure of the News of the World lit up the social media platform.
The hash tag #notw took centre stage as users first rallied against companies such as Tesco, who opted to keep their advertising within the paper's pages. This prompted Labour MP for the Rhondda Chris Bryant to tweet: "Just decided I'm not doing my weekly shop in tesco this evening following their decision to continue advertising with #NOTW."
It wasn't just politicians voicing their opinion. Musician George Michael, who has raised issue with journalistic practices employed by the News of the World in the past, said in two tweets: "Rebekah Brooks sat two feet from me in my own home and told me that it was never the public that came to them with information..... on celebrities, and that the Police always got there first. I think thats enough to be going on with. (Don't ask me how she got there).. Believe me I didnt invite her."
The debate continued into the night long after James Murdoch announced the closure of the paper. Viewers of BBC's Question Time largely sided with actor Hugh Grant, who appeared on the programme in relation to his own previous issues with phone hacking and dubious News of the World dealings.
Like millions of others DJ Chris Moyles was watching, phone in hand, and was among those championing the Hollywood star, tweeting "Hugh Grant making [fellow panellist] Jon Gaunt look like a fool on BBC1 is gripping television."
Here is a selection of some of the best tweets from a big 24 hours for both UK journalism and the Twittersphere:
- @simonpegg [Actor] "To put the #NotW thing in bastardised geek speak ... "Sometimes the needs of the many [are outweighed] by the needs of the few, or the one."
- @BrianCathcart [Journalist] "Don't agree with view that the #notw 'had to close' or that it was 'killed by scandal'. Murdochs chose, capriciously, to kill it off."
- @Toby Hadoke [Comedian] "If it took this scandal to show you #NOTW was evil/needed boycotting then you're partly responsible & your moral compass needs realigning."
- @gracedent [Journalist] "why didn't hugh grant do anything when he was Prime Minister and married to Martine McCutcheon FFS. hypocrite."
- @SteveMartinToGo [Actor] "Just hired three ex-News of the World employees to get my voice messages. So much easier."